150th at Gettysburg

jloakley
I've been preparing for a trip to Gettysburg for several months and on the 29th arrived for the anniversary of the 150th. My great-grandfather was assistant surgeon for the 11th PA and this was to honor him. He came for the 50th as a 83 year old, so I thought I could do it.

I learned so much more in three days than I did in all the years I've been reading his war time journals. It is amazing to find that your ancestor is at the heart of the 1st day at Seminary Ridge and after. An assistant surgeon worked out in the field hospital, separating out in a triage system that saved many lives but doomed others as they were too far gone. Before April 1863, he had been a country doctor. After the line broke at the ridge and 20,000 soldiers fled through town, my ancestor made it back to the 2nd div hospital, Christ Lutheran and was a prisoner for a couple of days. There he performed surgeries on the many wounded. He went back up to Seminary Ridge, the day of Pickett's Charge and worked among the wounded (most likely with a pass)

The 150th was very well done. Something I will never forget.

Scene at new Seminary Ridge Museum

Re: 150th at Gettysburg

sandy
Glad you had the opportunity to go and learn more about your ancestor.

On Sun, Jul 7, 2013 at 3:27 PM, jloakley [via Civil War Pathways] <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

http://civil-war-pathways.12348.n7.nabble.com/150th-at-Gettysburg-tp299.html
To start a new topic under Civil War Pathways, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Civil War Pathways, click here.
NAML

RE: 150th at Gettysburg

lmcconaghy-2
I'm working on the Civil War Pathways exhibit draft text today, and spent a couple hours on Pickett.  I envy you visiting the battlefield.  Did you ever read Michael Shaara's Killer Angels?  A reader gave the novel to me as a gift, and it is more firmly in my mind than scholarly accounts of Gettysburg.  I can loan it to you, if you'd like. L

On Sun, Jul 7, 2013 at 3:27 PM, jloakley [via Civil War Pathways] <[hidden email]</user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=300&i=0>> wrote:
[...]

NAML<
http://civil-war-pathways.12348.n7.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml>