Quantcast

Civil War Conscription Question

SarahGM917
Does anyone know whether or not the national conscription laws included men from any of the Territories? I've researched this a bit and know that the Confederacy established mandatory military service in April 1862 for the Confederacy, but the Union did not institute the national draft lottery until 1863.

Did the men in the Territories get included in either of these?

Thanks,
Sarah Moser
Bellevue, WA

Re: Civil War Conscription Question

Rex Rice
From my readings, a survey of Oregon Territory eligible conscripts was made but a combination of Indian problems and a general response of  "I ain't goin'" plus the long distance to the War killed the draft.

Rex

On Sun, Jul 7, 2013 at 6:30 PM, SarahGM917 [via Civil War Pathways] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Does anyone know whether or not the national conscription laws included men from any of the Territories? I've researched this a bit and know that the Confederacy established mandatory military service in April 1862 for the Confederacy, but the Union did not institute the national draft lottery until 1863.

Did the men in the Territories get included in either of these?

Thanks,
Sarah Moser
Bellevue, WA

http://civil-war-pathways.12348.n7.nabble.com/Civil-War-Conscription-Question-tp307.html
To start a new topic under Civil War Pathways, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Civil War Pathways, click here.
NAML

RE: Civil War Conscription Question

lmcconaghy-2
Yes, I don't think there was a draft west of the Rockies.  But readers are turning up a few men who went south or went north from Washington Territory, to volunteer.  L

NAML<
http://civil-war-pathways.12348.n7.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml>

Re: Civil War Conscription Question

SarahGM917
Thanks, Lorraine:

So would you say, then, that due to some of the WT men leaving to volunteer and the fact that in the day there were certainly discussions in Congress and in the Lincoln Administration about instituting conscription in the Union Army, as well, that perhaps articles about this issue could be of use to the WT database? It's sort of tangential but it does show modern researchers what people were thinking about and following in the papers.

Note: Lincoln instituted a sort of draft lottery in 1863, a year after the Confederacy instituted their conscription law.

I also just found an original source letter from the Governor of Georgia to Confederate President Jefferson Davis protesting this conscription law and quite clearly pointing out the problems it would engender for the Confederate States. Dated April 22, 1862 in Annals of America. Apparently not everyone in the Confederacy was happy with the conscription laws as it took further power from the states, which violated the whole states right issue in the minds of some of that day. Interesting.

I looked this up while trying to determine connections from an article mentioning mandatory conscription in the SF Daily Evening News during my research time. Since it had just happened by early May of that year, I thought it might be pertinent to some in WT.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Sarah Moser

Sarah Gunning Moser
Owner, Family Education Services
Spell to Write and Read Endorsed Trainer

On Sun, Jul 7, 2013 at 9:17 PM, lmcconaghy-2 [via Civil War Pathways] <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

http://civil-war-pathways.12348.n7.nabble.com/Civil-War-Conscription-Question-tp307p310.html
To start a new topic under Civil War Pathways, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Civil War Conscription Question, click here.
NAML

RE: Civil War Conscription Question

lmcconaghy-2
I think for these, yes, ESPECIALLY if there is any editorial comment on the draft or the potential for the draft in the west.  However, if there's not that, I think in your Annotations you should make the argument that this article has significance to this project because territorial residents had left friends and family behind in the states who were directly concerned in the draft.  The Annotations field is the place to make such an argument.  Tks, SM, L
[...]

Freelance Writer/Speaker
425-652-3967

www.familyedservices.com<http://www.familyedservices.com/>

http://www.familyedservices.com/blog/http://www.facebook.com/sarah.g.moser

http://twitter.com/SG_Moser

http:www.linkedin.com/pub/sarahgunningmoser<http://www.linkedin.com/pub/sarahgunningmoser>

https://plus.google.com/u/0/101564645759329595455

NAML<
http://civil-war-pathways.12348.n7.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml>

RE: Civil War Conscription Question

SarahGM917
OK, that helps. I'll clip the aforementioned article from the SF DEB that mentions conscription and annotate why I think it's pertinent to researchers since the whole conscription issue was hot in 1862 on both sides of the Mason-Dixon line and out West.

Should I also mention the letter from Georgia Governor Joseph Emerson Brown and where to find it in case a researcher wants to study the Civil War conscription issue further, or would that be inappropriate for our database? It could make the whole issue easier for someone to deal with if they knew where to go for original source material, and it could shed light on the whole subject as it pertained to WT. (At least the way my brain works.) :-D

Thanks,
Sarah Moser

RE: Civil War Conscription Question

lmcconaghy-2
I am getting a little foggy, Sarah, on your precise situation and don't want to mislead you.  If you include something among your submissions, make the argument in your annotation for why you think it should be included in this particular project. Then just post the record.  Your editor will likely contact you to clarify further, if necessary.  Hope that's reasonable, SM.  L

NAML<

http://civil-war-pathways.12348.n7.nabble.com/Civil-War-Conscription-Question-tp307p316.html
NAML

RE: Civil War Conscription Question

lmcconaghy-2
Thank you, Sarah!  I just ran into my neighbor, Cindy Burt, who is halfway through her reading.  She actually said that this project changed her life, that she was enjoying the work so much.  I hope that others of you feel the same way.  I know that we will be proud of our accomplishment.  Lorraine

NAML<
http://civil-war-pathways.12348.n7.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml>

Re: Civil War Conscription Question

SarahGM917
I'm loving the whole process. I just wish my eyes were younger while reading on screen! ;-)  The implications for my teaching and for writing are enormous and loads of fun for me personally. Occasionally I run across something funny that I read to my husband. Other times I find editorials and articles that demonstrate yet again that "the more things change the more they remain the same", such as political squabbles, power grabs, crime, etc. It's also fun to see what the prices were for land and buildings and businesses, and the want ads for positions. Occasionally I find a pertinent one for the WT database, even amongst those things.

This stuff is right up my alley. I wish my linguist/history buff mother were still alive; she would have loved watching this unfold. She would have made a great reader if she'd been inclined, for that matter!

http://civil-war-pathways.12348.n7.nabble.com/Civil-War-Conscription-Question-tp307p318.html