Quantcast

Curate "Civil War Pathways" with Lorraine, #1 (blacks & post-war laws)

Curate "Civil War Pathways" with Lorraine, #1 (blacks & post-war laws)

Jenny Sayward
This post was updated on .
From Lorraine (currently forum-disabled):

I’ve begun to draft the text panels for the Washington State Historical Society exhibit.   One of the goals of the Read-In is to inform this exhibit with your research.  Our database will be accessible to every exhibit visitor, on a work station in the gallery.  But I’d like to be able to ask you for some specific help ahead of time.  Here are four questions to start – has anyone read anything or does anyone know anything that could help me with these?  If you have posted a record and know its number – public or not yet public – let me know that, too.  Answer in the forum if you can, so we can all see.
http://civil-war-pathways.12348.n7.nabble.com/
And we’ll try to send this note to the dozens and dozens of folks who don’t participate in the forum….

Have you found any mentions of placenames in Washington, Idaho or Oregon that are related to the Civil War?  (Rebel this or that, Union this or that, etc.)

Have you found any suggestion of any black slaves in Washington Territory besides Charles Mitchell?  Black people in dubious situations?

Have you run across any postwar anti-black formal or informal laws, events, activities in Washington Territory, before 1871?

Later, have you run across anything about sundown towns?  Where blacks had to be out of town by dusk.

Thanks, and I’ll have more questions. L

RE: Curate "Civil War Pathways" with Me, #1

Penny M

Lorraine,

#441 is an ad for the Union Hotel in Seattle.

#442 is an ad for the Union Store in Seattle.

Penny

[...]

http://civil-war-pathways.12348.n7.nabble.com/Curate-Civil-War-Pathways-with-Me-1-tp321.html

To start a new topic under Civil War Pathways, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Civil War Pathways, click here.
NAML

RE: Curate "Civil War Pathways" with Me, #1

lmcconaghy-2
Nice!  In they go, to the exhibit hopper!  Thank you, L
#442 is an ad for the Union Store in Seattle.

Penny

I’ve begun to draft the text panels for the Washington State Historical Society exhibit.   One of the goals of the Read-In is to inform this exhibit with your research.  Our database will be accessible to every exhibit visitor, on a work station in the gallery.  But I’d like to be able to ask you for some specific help ahead of time.  Here are four questions to start – has anyone read anything or does anyone know anything that could help me with these?  If you have posted a record and know its number – public or not yet public – let me know that, too.  Answer in the forum if you can, so we can all see.
click here.
NAML<http://civil-war-pathways.12348.n7.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml>

NAML<
http://civil-war-pathways.12348.n7.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml>

RE: Curate "Civil War Pathways" with Me, #1

tuffrock
In the July 6, 1860 issue of Pioneer and Democrat, the Democrats are slinging vitriol at Judge Hays. "While proclaiming himself a friend of the South he has signified his unalterable purpose of depositing a vote for the nominees of a party who have sworn to abolish slavery throughout the Union, and that in the face of the fact that Judge Hays is a slaveholder at this very time!"
There is no saying whether the slaves are domiciled in the WT or whether they are elsewhere in the country.

Victoria Bennett

NAML

RE: Curate "Civil War Pathways" with Me, #1

lmcconaghy-2
Victoria - do you know any more about "Judge Hays?"  Doesn't ring a bell for me in PNW - is he the William Hays in Kentucky, maybe?  (Thank you, Wikipedia!)

________________________________

NAML<
http://civil-war-pathways.12348.n7.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml>

RE: Curate "Civil War Pathways" with Me, #1

tuffrock
Lorraine,

I don't know anything about him. Part of the quote reads, "While effecting to abhor the principles of the Abolition Republican party, and constantly declaring himself no Republican, he voluntarily and promptly accepts the nomination of that party which he knows to be adverse to his own interests, and his own principles, for the sake of, what? Why, simply to become a member of the Legislature of the Territory if Republican votes can elect him." [Italics as printed in the newspaper.]

As reported in the July 13, 1860 issue of Pioneer and Democrat, Judge Hays won the election. "...the republicans voted for him, satisfied with his views on the nigger question."  The judge opines that "Congress has a right to legislate upon the question of slavery in the territories." I don't know whether he says this on the bench, as a candidate, or in his acceptance speech.

Would it be worth looking at the election results to see which area he represented? If he's not showing up in the legislature, I suppose he could have died before taking the oath.

Victoria

Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2013 08:10:13 -0700
From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]

Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2013 15:13:14 -0700
From: [hidden email]</user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=328&i=0>
To: [hidden email]</user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=328&i=1>

From Lorraine (currently forum-disabled):

http://civil-war-pathways.12348.n7.nabble.com/Curate-Civil-War-Pathways-with-Me-1-tp321p330.html
NAML

RE: Curate "Civil War Pathways" with Me, #1

lmcconaghy-2
Well, you're not obligated to, Victoria, but it sure would be nice to know where his slaves were....  So he clearly won election and was named a slaveholder by the PandD - his position on slavery in the territories runs counter to the Dred Scott decision.  Even if all we know is what you know, this is very interesting and provocative stuff.  So write your abstract and annotations with pride!

Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2013 08:10:13 -0700
From: [hidden email]</user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=331&i=0>
To: [hidden email]</user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=331&i=1>

NAML<
http://civil-war-pathways.12348.n7.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml>

RE: Curate "Civil War Pathways" with Me, #1

tuffrock
I did see that Judge Hays ran in Thurston County.

Victoria

Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2013 10:25:47 -0700
From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]

Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2013 08:10:13 -0700
From: [hidden email]</user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=331&i=0>
To: [hidden email]</user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=331&i=1>

Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2013 15:13:14 -0700
From: [hidden email]</user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=328&i=0>
To: [hidden email]</user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=328&i=1>

From Lorraine (currently forum-disabled):

http://civil-war-pathways.12348.n7.nabble.com/Curate-Civil-War-Pathways-with-Lorraine-1-tp321p338.html
NAML

RE: Curate "Civil War Pathways" with Me, #1

lmcconaghy-2
Well, that's the county where, during the war, one of the Republican newspapers reported that no more than 25 male residents were traitors to the United States.  So Thurston County is important.  Good work.

Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2013 10:25:47 -0700
From: [hidden email]</user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=342&i=0>
To: [hidden email]</user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=342&i=1>

Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2013 08:10:13 -0700
From: [hidden email]</user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=331&i=0>
To: [hidden email]</user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=331&i=1>

NAML<
http://civil-war-pathways.12348.n7.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml>

RE: Curate "Civil War Pathways" with Me, #1

curator

Lorraine, please give me a call at your convenience before 4 Pm today 360-376-4849

Thanks!

Best regards,

Clark McAbee

Curator

Orcas Island Historical Museum

PO BOX 134/ N Beach Rd

East Sound WA 98245

360-376-4849

[hidden email]

From: lmcconaghy-2 [via Civil War Pathways] [mailto:[hidden email]]

RE: Curate "Civil War Pathways" with Me, #1

tuffrock
Lorraine,

I finally have the missing piece re slaveholder Judge Gilmore Hays. His slaves were in Missouri.

Victoria

Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2013 08:10:13 -0700
From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]

NAML

RE: Curate "Civil War Pathways" with Me, #1

lmcconaghy-2
Figured as much, but great to have it confirmed, Victoria.  Nevertheless, like Gholson, Hays is a major territorial figure who was a slaveowner. Thank you.  L

Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2013 08:10:13 -0700
From: [hidden email]</user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=395&i=2>
To: [hidden email]</user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=395&i=3>