Curate "Civil War Pathways" with Lorraine, #3 (place names)

12

Curate "Civil War Pathways" with Lorraine, #3 (place names)

Jenny Sayward
There are some Civil War-influenced place names on the land in the Pacific Northwest:  to name a handful, Dixie, ten miles north of Walla Walla; Secesh River in northern Idaho; Union County in Oregon.  What have you found?  What do you know of?

Re: Curate "Civil War Pathways" with Lorraine, #3 (place names)

kyra
Union Gap, of course.  And does an abandoned town count?  There is/was one in Clallam County called Gettysburg.

On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 11:05 AM, Jenny Sayward [via Civil War Pathways] <[hidden email]> wrote:
There are some Civil War-influenced place names on the land in the Pacific Northwest:  to name a handful, Dixie, ten miles north of Walla Walla; Secesh River in northern Idaho; Union County in Oregon.  What have you found?  What do you know of?

http://civil-war-pathways.12348.n7.nabble.com/Curate-Civil-War-Pathways-with-Lorraine-3-place-names-tp375.html
To start a new topic under Civil War Pathways, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Civil War Pathways, click here.
NAML

Re: Curate "Civil War Pathways" with Lorraine, #3 (place names)

Kate Forster
Well, there's Union City, Washington.  Now just Union, I think.  Hood Canal area.

NAML

Re: Curate "Civil War Pathways" with Lorraine, #3 (place names)

kyra
Oh, and I think there is a Rebel Flat Creek in Whitman County.

http://civil-war-pathways.12348.n7.nabble.com/Curate-Civil-War-Pathways-with-Lorraine-3-place-names-tp375p377.html
NAML

Re: Curate "Civil War Pathways" with Lorraine, #3 (place names)

jloakley
I could ask about Dixie when I go to Walla Walla on the 12th. Also Atlanta on Samish Island. Founded by a Confederate.

--
Janet Oakley
writer, historian, educator

Everyone loves a little History CSI

TREE SOLDIER
http://www.amazon.com/Tree-Soldier-J-L-Oakley/dp/1453896473/ref=tmm_pap_title_0
Chanticleer Grand Prize winner 2013
 2012 EPIC ebook Award winner for Historical Fiction

Blog: http://historyweaver.wordpress.com

RE: Curate "Civil War Pathways" with Lorraine, #3 (place names)

curator

Atlanta in post war Skagit County was to be a haven community for secessionists. Also there is Mount Pickett, Don’t we have a Grant County?  FYI Stevens Pass is not named for Gov./ General Stevens but for J. F. Stevens the engineer. Could stretch and say Mt. Constitution was Civil War related. I am sure there are more.

Best regards,

Clark McAbee

Curator

Orcas Island Historical Museum

PO BOX 134/ N Beach Rd

East Sound WA 98245

360-376-4849

[hidden email]

NAML

Re: Curate "Civil War Pathways" with Lorraine, #3 (place names)

Kathy W
1. Town of Lincoln (also Lincoln Mill), Lincoln Co., just west of Spokane, WA
2. Dixie, a census-designated place, in Walla Walla County, WA
3. McClellan Peak in the Cascades, named after then Capt. Geo. B. McClellan when he surveyed the area for the U.S. Army
4. Fort George Wright, a land area in Spokane, WA
5. Robert E. Lee Chapter 885, United Daughters of the Confederacy (UDC), Seattle
6. Robert E. Lee Elementary School, East Wenatchee, WA
7. Zinc mines in Ferry Co., WA:
Abe Lincoln
Longstreet – Robert E. Lee

Atlanta Hotel gray.jpg (325K) Download Attachment

RE: Curate "Civil War Pathways" with Lorraine, #3 (place names)

lmcconaghy-2
Writing a kind of all-embracing thank-you note!  All duly noted.  The WSHS exhibits team was pretty excited about a PNW map of Civil War-influenced placenames, to which visitors could add of their own knowledge.  And we're "salting the mine" by dotting the landscape with the placenames you've come up with.  Thank you!  L

Blog: http://historyweaver.wordpress.com<http://historyweaver.wordpress.com/>

--

[X] Atlanta Hotel gray.jpg (325K) Download Attachment<http://civil-war-pathways.12348.n7.nabble.com/attachment/383/0/Atlanta%20Hotel%20gray.jpg>

NAML<
http://civil-war-pathways.12348.n7.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml>

Re: Curate "Civil War Pathways" with Lorraine, #3 (place names)

Jenny Sayward
Here are some place names I found in James W. Phillips' Washington Place Names, 1971.

Too early for CW connection, tho people were already promoting the idea of preserving the Union:
Union City (Mason) – 1858
Lake Union (King) – 1854

Other meanings of "union":
Union Gap (Yakima) – 1865 gap or pass between Ahtanum Ridge & Rattlesnake Ridge
Uniontown (Whitman) – 1879  a junction of creeks & roads

Mead (Spokane) – in honor of Gen. George Gordon Meade, Union Army
Monitor (Chelan) – 1902 changed to commemorate the victory of the Union’s iron-clad
Monitor over the Confederate’s armor-clad Merrimac
Mt. Pickett (San Juan)  to honor Gen. George E. Pickett (Confederate) for his service in
the San Juan Islands boundary dispute (Pig War)
Douglas County – 1883 in honor of Stephen A. Douglas, archrival of Abraham Lincoln
Douglas Mountain (Okanogan) – not named for Stephen A. Douglas, but for an early prospector
Grant County – 1909 in honor of former President Ulysses S Grant
Lincoln County – 1883 in honor of former President Abraham Lincoln
Lincoln Creek (Lewis) – renamed for then-President Abraham Lincoln

Dixie (Walla Walla) – named for a musical trio called the Dixie Boys who sang “Dixie”, but that may
have been a way to minimize their Southern affiliation

RE: Curate "Civil War Pathways" with Lorraine, #3 (place names)

lmcconaghy-2
Lots of great stuff here - fwiw, Lake Union was renamed by Thomas Mercer for the union it would one day become, between saltwater and fresh water.  His name displaced the Native name for the lake.

I think Union Gap is a must.  Monitor is great, too.  Interesting about Dixie....

NAML<
http://civil-war-pathways.12348.n7.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml>

Re: Curate "Civil War Pathways" with Lorraine, #3 (place names)

dclarridge
The Fremont district (Seattle):  Was named for Fremont, Nebraska, the hometown of several of its early developers: L.H. Griffith, Edward and Carrie Blewett, and E. C. Kilbourne.  Fremont, Nebraska, in turn had been named for John C. Fremont, American explorer and Union General. (realize that may be a stretch)

Seward Park (Seattle):  named for William H. Seward, Lincoln's Secretary of State, who continued in that position under Andrew Johnson and served as the chief U.S. negotiator in the purchase of Alaska.

Judie

There are some Civil War-influenced place names on the land in the Pacific Northwest:  to name a handful, Dixie, ten miles north of Walla Walla; Secesh River in northern Idaho; Union County in Oregon.  What have you found?  What do you know of?

http://civil-war-pathways.12348.n7.nabble.com/Curate-Civil-War-Pathways-with-Lorraine-3-place-names-tp375.html
To start a new topic under Civil War Pathways, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Civil War Pathways, click here.
NAML

Re: Curate "Civil War Pathways" with Lorraine, #3 (place names)

gray.pedersen
...and Seward's statue is in Volunteer Park, named in honor of the soldiers in the Spanish American War, long after Seward's demise. Note his statue is NOT in Seward Park!
Gray

http://civil-war-pathways.12348.n7.nabble.com/Curate-Civil-War-Pathways-with-Lorraine-3-place-names-tp375p388.html
NAML

RE: Curate "Civil War Pathways" with Lorraine, #3 (place names)

lmcconaghy-2
Do you know, Clark, much about Atlanta in Skagit County?  Was it on Lummi Island?
Atlanta in post war Skagit County was to be a haven community for secessionists. Also there is Mount Pickett, Don’t we have a Grant County?  FYI Stevens Pass is not named for Gov./ General Stevens but for J. F. Stevens the engineer. Could stretch and say Mt. Constitution was Civil War related. I am sure there are more.

Best regards,

Clark McAbee
Curator
Orcas Island Historical Museum
PO BOX 134/ N Beach Rd
East Sound WA 98245
360-376-4849
[hidden email]</user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=381&i=0>

There are some Civil War-influenced place names on the land in the Pacific Northwest:  to name a handful, Dixie, ten miles north of Walla Walla; Secesh River in northern Idaho; Union County in Oregon.  What have you found?  What do you know of?
________________________________
click here.

NAML<
http://civil-war-pathways.12348.n7.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml>

RE: Curate "Civil War Pathways" with Lorraine, #3 (place names)

lmcconaghy-2
Oh, Janet - sorry, I was reading backwards.  So Atlanta was on Samish Island?

NAML<
http://civil-war-pathways.12348.n7.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml>

RE: Curate "Civil War Pathways" with Lorraine, #3 (place names)

lmcconaghy-2
Yes, I think abandoned towns have to count.  Gettysburg is pretty nice, Kyra.  Thank you.

NAML<
http://civil-war-pathways.12348.n7.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml>

Re: Curate "Civil War Pathways" with Lorraine, #3 (place names)

jloakley
Yes Atlanta on Samish. Somewhere I have a map of the place but I also have a courthouse involving Allen the founder.

--
Janet Oakley
writer, historian, educator

Everyone loves a little History CSI

TREE SOLDIER
http://www.amazon.com/Tree-Soldier-J-L-Oakley/dp/1453896473/ref=tmm_pap_title_0
Chanticleer Grand Prize winner 2013
 2012 EPIC ebook Award winner for Historical Fiction

Blog: http://historyweaver.wordpress.com

RE: Curate "Civil War Pathways" with Lorraine, #3 (place names)

curator

Hi Lorraine,

I believe it was on/near Samish Island. The person who could give you many more details would be Mari Densmore at the Skagit County Historical Museum in La Conner. She is the Librarian there and has been for about 20 years.

http://civil-war-pathways.12348.n7.nabble.com/Curate-Civil-War-Pathways-with-Lorraine-3-place-names-tp375p390.html

NAML

Re: Curate "Civil War Pathways" with Lorraine, #3 (place names)

jloakley
Mari and I worked together on the Lost Cities of Skagit. I was ed curator for 11 years.  Did a GIS map of county but tho.k ot was removed. Slants clearly mapped out.