Curate "Civil War Pathways" with Lorraine, #4 (newspaper mission)

Curate "Civil War Pathways" with Lorraine, #4 (newspaper mission)

Jenny Sayward
Have any of you found a nice tight quote (or a longer phrase that could be edited to a nice tight quote) that expresses the value or purpose of a newspaper in WT, 1860-1865?  I have one from Seattle Gazette, 2/23/1864, but it’s not very tangy.  We're looking for something like a journalistic mission statement.

Re: Curate "Civil War Pathways" with Lorraine, #4 (newspaper mission)

Rex Rice
I'll look at what we have.

On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 10:10 AM, Jenny Sayward [via Civil War Pathways] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Have any of you found a nice tight quote (or a longer phrase that could be edited to a nice tight quote) that expresses the value or purpose of a newspaper in WT, 1860-1865?  I have one from Seattle Gazette, 2/23/1864, but it’s not very tangy.  We're looking for something like a journalistic mission statement.

http://civil-war-pathways.12348.n7.nabble.com/Curate-Civil-War-Pathways-with-Lorraine-4-newspaper-mission-tp393.html
To start a new topic under Civil War Pathways, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Civil War Pathways, click here.
NAML

Re: Curate "Civil War Pathways" with Lorraine, #4 (newspaper mission)

Kate Forster
I knew that Bagley rented a printing press to publish The Commercial Age, and promised that it would promote the Republican agenda, so I went looking.  Haven't found a mission statement yet, but I did run into a free online book, Washington West of the Cascades, 1917. Is anybody reading it?

NAML

Re: Curate "Civil War Pathways" with Lorraine, #4 (newspaper mission)

Jenny Sayward
I know that I've read an eloquent expression of what editor Charles Prosch was trying to do with the Puget Sound Herald, but I'm quite sure that the reader I was editing at the time did not submit it as an item.  It would require a separate search.

Re: Curate "Civil War Pathways" with Lorraine, #4 (newspaper mission)

Kathy W
In the first edition of Puget Sound Herald (see 1858-03-12, pg 2, col. A), Chas. Prosch spells out his philosophy of "a strictly independent course regarding politics" and later says "Our columns will at all times be open to those who may disagree with us." Or, you might find a better quote from him. I should add that he later strayed somewhat from this pledge by writing some strongly partisan (pro-Union) editorials and by commenting on partisan articles.

Re: Curate "Civil War Pathways" with Lorraine, #4 (newspaper mission)

Kathy W
Reader Susan Long found a spicy editorial from Chas. Prosch in which he defends the Herald's support of candidates and says the paper never intended to be "neutral," merely "independent." See the 1859-05-27 issue, pg 2, col. A. A quote I like is, "We have no desire to sail under false colors, nor do we wish to deceive anybody in regard to the positions we occupy." There are plenty of other good ones.