Curate "Civil War Pathways" with Lorraine, #5 (assassination glee)

Curate "Civil War Pathways" with Lorraine, #5 (assassination glee)

Jenny Sayward
Have any of you found an example, however small, of rejoicing in Washington or Idaho Territory or state of Oregon at Lincoln’s death?  Thanks, guys, L

Re: Curate "Civil War Pathways" with Lorraine, #5 (assassination glee)

Jenny Sayward
Lorraine, are you asking for additional incidents or commentary, beyond the Astoria incident & related Seattle Gazette commentary?

Re: Curate "Civil War Pathways" with Lorraine, #5 (assassination glee)

Rex Rice
May 6, 1865, Eugene City, OT, Patrick Henry Mulkey marched up & down the street shouting: "Hurrah for Jeff Davis. Old Lincoln is dead-should have been shot years ago." He was arrested and frog marched to the city jail. See page 222 of 'The Enemy Never Came'. Long Tom Secessionists met and were rumored to break Mulkey out of jail so Lieutenant Colonel George B. Currey, commanding officer at Fort Hoskins, was ordered to hold ready two companies of infantry to come to the relief of Eugene. (William Richter, 'War in the Great Northwest', Washington Historical Quarterly, 22(1931):84
   In Bruceport, WT, a noisy rebel was strung up & let down, not strangled, until he had signed every oath of allegiance to be found in town. (Astoria Gazzette, quoted in Oregon Statesman, May 22, 1865.)

I'm sure there is more.

Rex

On Tue, Aug 6, 2013 at 12:08 PM, Jenny Sayward [via Civil War Pathways] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Lorraine, are you asking for additional incidents or commentary, beyond the Astoria incident & related Seattle Gazette commentary?

http://civil-war-pathways.12348.n7.nabble.com/Curate-Civil-War-Pathways-with-Lorraine-5-assassination-glee-tp401p402.html
To start a new topic under Civil War Pathways, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Civil War Pathways, click here.
NAML

RE: Curate "Civil War Pathways" with Lorraine, #5 (assassination glee)

lmcconaghy-2
Lovely!  I had to look Bruceport up - great reference for W.T.  Thanks, Rex, L

NAML<
http://civil-war-pathways.12348.n7.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml>

RE: Curate "Civil War Pathways" with Lorraine, #5 (assassination glee)

lmcconaghy-2
Whatever we can find, in W.T. or Idaho T.  We can infer the existence of rejoicing from the military order that forbade it - it's just finding examples of rejoicing that's appealing.  Thanks, guys. L

Re: Curate "Civil War Pathways" with Lorraine, #5 (assassination glee)

jbfarkas
Hi Lorraine, I have something on assassination glee.

In his reminiscence, George Hunter tells of an encounter with a man who rejoiced at the news of Lincoln's assassination.

“Hurrah for the man that killed him! I'd like a steak out of the old s__ of a ___ for my supper, or of any man that sympathizes with him.” (271)

After a stunned moment, Hunter jumped up, grabbed his gun, and told the man:

“I would give him just half a minute to take that back and apologize to the gentlemen present; and that it had been my experience, that a man who wanted to eat steaks from a murdered man, had not the grit to attempt to cut one from a live one.

A hasty glance told him, that if he hadn't become tired of living, he had better "crawfish," and apologize, which he did in good shape and then walked off to his wagon.

Then I found that nearly all were ready to lynch him, as the most of those present were Republicans; and, as an old friend of mine put it, “blamed black" at that. This will give the reader some idea of how the news of President Lincoln's assassination was received in many places in Oregon and Washington.” (271)

Reminiscences of an Old Timer by Colonel George Hunter
http://www.sos.wa.gov/history/publications_detail.aspx?p=142
Washington State Library, Classics in Washington History
609883861[Bib Util#]
I submitted this for the db: http://pathways.omeka.net/items/show/1045

Re: Curate "Civil War Pathways" with Lorraine, #5 (assassination glee)

Kate Forster
I don't know whether to say OMG or wow.  This is stunning.

Sent from AOL Mobile Mail

http://civil-war-pathways.12348.n7.nabble.com/Curate-Civil-War-Pathways-with-Lorraine-5-assassination-glee-tp401p445.html
NAML

RE: Curate "Civil War Pathways" with Lorraine, #5 (assassination glee)

lmcconaghy-2
That is fantastic.  Wow.  I am sorry I missed that, Jean - the db is hard to search with some live and most not live.  Wow.  Can you tell where George Hunter was, for this encounter?  "To his wagon?"  Thank you!  Lorraine

NAML<
http://civil-war-pathways.12348.n7.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml>

RE: Curate "Civil War Pathways" with Lorraine, #5 (assassination glee)

jbfarkas
I have some location information. Hunter was traveling between Walla Walla and Boise with a few others. They camped for the night at Washoe Springs on the Snake River. He says that there were many other pack trains and some ox-teams camped there as well—in all about 40 to 50 men. I haven’t been able to locate Washoe Springs on any map.  --Jean

Re: Curate "Civil War Pathways" with Lorraine, #5 (assassination glee)

dclarridge
Jean,

This is not a very scholarly response but there is a Washoe Road and a Washoe Ditch in the Payette/Fruitland, ID area on Google maps. They are very close to the Snake River.  Interstate 84 goes through this area and is titled "Old Oregon Trail Highway" so maybe it was historically a well traveled route.  I didn't spot anything that said Washoe Springs, though.

Also found:  http://payettecounty.info/marlow/washoe.html which refers to travelers using the Washoe Ferry to the gold fields in the Boise Basin.

Judie