Independent order of knighthood

KarenHaas
Hi All,

First off, sorry it has taken me so long to finish my assignment, I'll be done within a day or two.

Then - have come across references to the Independent Order of Knighthood - a "young and rising order in this & other towns in our Territory" with ideals such as uniting all mankind in a common brotherhood, relieving sick & distressed, warring against all vices and such.  Since it wasn't the Knights of the Golden Circle, I thought it wasn't so important, but there's another posting here saying that meetings of Masons and such should be included.  Any direction here?

Thanks!
-Karen

Re: Independent order of knighthood

Jenny Sayward
Yes, other fraternal clubs and secret societies are relevant to include.  At this time, men were forming a whole variety of clubs, and this is important context for the formation of the Knights.  You'll probably see ads in the newspapers about the meetings, maybe with "secret" symbols shown.  Some papers also show ads for ceremonial regalia that could be ordered from San Francisco, and of course they brag that they make costumes for a whole range of societies.  It's really amazing!

Jenny

Re: Independent order of knighthood

KarenHaas
Thanks, Jenny!

Re: Independent order of knighthood

KarenHaas
Okay, one last bit - and if nothing else, hope it'll bring a smile to your face.  Rather pointed anti-racist joke amongst the froth on the front page.  Would this fall under the "What were the racial attitudes?"

 “Caesar,” said a planter to his negro, “climb up that tree and then cut the branches.”  The negro showed no disposition to comply, and upon being pressed for a reason, answered, “Well look heah, massa, if I go up dar an’ fall down and broke my neck, dat’ll be a thousand out o’ your pocket.  Now why don’t you hire a white man to go up, and den if he falls and kills heself, dar won’t be no loss to nobody.”

Re: Independent order of knighthood

Jenny Sayward
We've come across wonderful examples of stories & jokes.  We assume that Washingtonians were interested and appreciated them.  However, if they were reprinted from the East without local commentary, they don't fit our project's criteria.

So many readers are encountering informative & entertaining material that they're eager to share.  Bring it to a local meet-up!  And let's find a way to share them at the project party in October.

Jenny

Re: Independent order of knighthood

KarenHaas
Thanks again!  You confirmed my suspicions.

On Thu, Jun 13, 2013 at 2:18 PM, Jenny Sayward [via Civil War Pathways] <[hidden email]> wrote:
We've come across wonderful examples of stories & jokes.  We assume that Washingtonians were interested and appreciated them.  However, if they were reprinted from the East without local commentary, they don't fit our project's criteria.

So many readers are encountering informative & entertaining material that they're eager to share.  Bring it to a local meet-up!  And let's find a way to share them at the project party in October.

Jenny

http://civil-war-pathways.12348.n7.nabble.com/Independent-order-of-knighthood-tp222p226.html
To unsubscribe from Independent order of knighthood, click here.
NAML

--
Karen Haas
253-830-4357
karenstoryteller.com

Re: Independent order of knighthood

SarahGM917
Jenny:

I noticed you mentioned the wrap party (?) in October for the project, is that correct? Do we have a date and/or place for it yet? I've been hoping the final get-together would not be in September, as I will be out of state for a large part of that month. October, on the other hand, would not pose a problem. But I am only one of many!

Thanks,
Sarah Moser
Bellevue, WA

RE: Independent order of knighthood

curator

It certainly is racist and should be included as an indication of attitudes of the time.

Best regards,

Clark McAbee

Curator

Orcas Island Historical Museum

PO BOX 134/ N Beach Rd

East Sound WA 98245

360-376-4849

[hidden email]

RE: Independent order of knighthood

lmcconaghy-2
Thank you, Karen - and as others have remarked, these kinds of jokes are very common.  It is hard to believe that hardcore territorial Democrats seriously believed that Asa Mercer was using his "Mercer Maidens" to bring black women to Washington Territory.  It is impossible to believe that hardcore territorial Democrats seriously believed that Abraham Lincoln had a black mistress.  Nevertheless, there's a photo of eight black soldiers, decorated with the WWI French Croix de Guerre that ran in the Times or the PI in 1918, and I remember it as one of very, very few images of black men or women that were not joking or insulting.  I'm struggling today with the ending of the Civil War Pathways exhibit - if you arc from Civil War to Civil Rights, how do you end an exhibition?  L

NAML<
http://civil-war-pathways.12348.n7.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml>

Re: Independent order of knighthood

KarenHaas
Thanks, Lorraine!  The photo WWI photo sounds fantastic.   It'd be nice if there was a nice ending to the Civil Rights, alas, the fight still goes on.

http://civil-war-pathways.12348.n7.nabble.com/Independent-order-of-knighthood-tp222p240.html

karenstoryteller.com

RE: Independent order of knighthood

lmcconaghy-2
It's so interesting, looking at the newspapers, in the spring of 1865, how eager everyone was for the war to end.  And to get on with growing Washington Territory - you can seen the abandonment of Reconstruction.

karenstoryteller.com<http://karenstoryteller.com>