Multiple items in one pdf

MaryM
Hi there - I'm working on the William Pickering letters at the WA State Library. The entire collection of maybe 75 letters is digitized in a single pdf. I'm just starting my drafts now, but I've got two letters ready to contribute and more on the way. The pdf file starts with a list of all the letters, and the list includes page numbers as they appear in the file, so they're not at all hard to find.

My question is this - how do I submit letters one by one when they come from a single pdf? Can I send the link to the pdf and have you get them out? Or do I need to submit them by way of Word. My pdfs from Word don't compress for some reason, but Tamara made the conversion for single files I contributed earlier. What say you?

Re: Multiple items in one pdf

Jenny Sayward
It's more useful to the searchability of our database to contribute an item letter by letter (unless they're all about the same thing).  You can snip the letters from the online pdf, or you can e-mail your personal editor, and the editor can snip & upload the images from this huge pdf.

Jenny

Re: Multiple items in one pdf

MaryM
Part of the problem of getting individual letters out of the big pdf was that I have a Mac and nothing like Photoshop to help. This may be helpful to others in the same situation, and it's much easier than going thru Word. (Thanks Tamara for making earlier conversions for me.)

With the help of the good folks at the Apple Store, I found that if I opened the large file w/ Preview (not Adobe Reader), I could save individual or groups of pages to the clipboard, and then save the clipboard contents as a new pdf. Whew! If anyone needs more info on this, feel free to contact me directly. Note that if you try to save a series of pages as a jpg, it only saves the first page.