Re: Curate Civil War Pathways with Lorraine (veteran's land claim)

Re: Curate Civil War Pathways with Lorraine (veteran's land claim)

kyra
Are you only seeking stories/examples that came from our project readings?

On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 10:03 AM, Jenny Sayward [via Civil War Pathways] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Has anyone discovered a story like this?

I would like to feature a Civil War Union veteran who traveled west to Washington Territory after the war, and made a claim under the Homestead Act AND used his veteran’s 40 acre bonus.  And I need to be able to represent him and his family in a photograph, the earlier the better.  Any suggestions?

Lorraine

http://civil-war-pathways.12348.n7.nabble.com/Curate-Civil-War-Pathways-with-Lorraine-veteran-s-land-claim-tp480.html
To start a new topic under Civil War Pathways, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Civil War Pathways, click here.
NAML

RE: Curate Civil War Pathways with Lorraine (veteran's land claim)

lmcconaghy-2
No, not at all.  As long as the claimant was a veteran of the CW, as long as he made his claim within Washington Territory, as long as it's reasonably early (prior to statehood in 1889), as long as we can find photos to depict the story - he's fair game.

NAML<
http://civil-war-pathways.12348.n7.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml>

Re: Curate Civil War Pathways with Lorraine (veteran's land claim)

kyra
Okay then I may have a couple for you I think. I am in Oly today but can send more tonight. One, easy to find, is Job Carr, who founded Old Town, the original part of Tacoma, right after the war (like 1867 or so. Really soon after.) I think he called it Eureka. I know he filed a homestead claim, but not sure of total size. There are pics of him and his original cabin, which was rebuilt and is a museum. I am pretty sure I found him originally in vet research so his war records are easy to access. If you want less well known, I think there is at least one more in the Sno county record, but I will need to double check them.  I know there were photos of the men, but the farms or such will be the challenge. More tonight.

Sent from my iPhone

No, not at all.  As long as the claimant was a veteran of the CW, as long as he made his claim within Washington Territory, as long as it's reasonably early (prior to statehood in 1889), as long as we can find photos to depict the story - he's fair game.

To unsubscribe from Civil War Pathways, click here.
NAML

Re: Curate Civil War Pathways with Lorraine (veteran's land claim)

candacejbrown
Here’s the website for the Job Carr log cabin museum: http://jobcarrmuseum.org

(Good thinking, Kyra!)

Sent: Wednesday, October 02, 2013 8:45 AM

On Oct 2, 2013, at 7:29 AM, "lmcconaghy-2 [via Civil War Pathways]"<<A href="wlmailhtml:/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=495&amp;i=0" rel=nofollow target=_top link="external">[hidden email]> wrote:

No, not at all.  As long as the claimant was a veteran of the CW, as long as he made his claim within Washington Territory, as long as it's reasonably early (prior to statehood in 1889), as long as we can find photos to depict the story - he's fair game.
Are you only seeking stories/examples that came from our project readings?

On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 10:03 AM, Jenny Sayward [via Civil War Pathways] <[hidden email]</user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=483&i=0>> wrote:
Has anyone discovered a story like this?

I would like to feature a Civil War Union veteran who traveled west to Washington Territory after the war, and made a claim under the Homestead Act AND used his veteran’s 40 acre bonus.  And I need to be able to represent him and his family in a photograph, the earlier the better.  Any suggestions?

Lorraine

To start a new topic under Civil War Pathways, email <A href="wlmailhtml:/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=495&amp;i=1" rel=nofollow target=_top link="external">[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Civil War Pathways, <A href="wlmailhtml:{78DFE2BC-E0FE-488B-B7E3-61748F88625F}mid://00000082/" rel=nofollow target=_top link="external">click here.
NAML

To start a new topic under Civil War Pathways, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Civil War Pathways, click here.
NAML

Re: Curate Civil War Pathways with Lorraine (veteran's land claim)

chezwurl
In my reading assignment;  http://archive.org/details/tacomaitshistory01hunt

you will find a more complete account from pages 98-103 of Job Carr's history along with that of his two sons Anthony and Howard.  All CW vets!  There are pictures of each as well

John

On Oct 2, 2013, at 9:09 AM, candacejbrown [via Civil War Pathways] wrote:

[...]

To unsubscribe from Civil War Pathways, <A href="wlmailhtml:{78DFE2BC-E0FE-488B-B7E3-61748F88625F}<a href="mid://00000082/">mid://00000082/" rel=nofollow target=_top link="external">click here.
NAML

To start a new topic under Civil War Pathways, email <a href="x-msg://46/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=497&amp;i=2" target="_top" rel="nofollow" link="external">[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Civil War Pathways, <a href="x-msg://46/" target="_top" rel="nofollow" link="external">click here.
NAML

NAML

Re: Curate Civil War Pathways with Lorraine (veteran's land claim)

kyra
This is very wordy, with many digressions, but you will find that Morse was a CW vet (Corps of Engineers) and homesteaded in 1871 (it's buried, but it's in there.)  He is less associated with his homesteading than Carr, I would imagine, because he had a long career as a laywer, but may that's a point about homesteading.  I think Carr left the region before he died? while Morse is buried in the Snohomish GAR cemetery.

Another homesteading veteran of Snohomish is Isaac H Morris.  I can find a picture of him, but nothing of the homestead.

Pursuing a few other leads.
Kyra