Re: Curate Civil War Pathways with Lorraine (veteran's land claim)

Re: Curate Civil War Pathways with Lorraine (veteran's land claim)

chezwurl
Jenny/Lorraine,

In reading my "Tacoma's History" assignment, I find reference to Anthony Carr, having returned to Tacoma after the war "filed a claim".
I did a small bit of research and, In the following link, I find mention of a "preemption claim".  Also some pics of the Carr site and family.  Not sure if this is close to the type of claim you are seeking, but here you go:

John

On Oct 1, 2013, at 10:03 AM, Jenny Sayward [via Civil War Pathways] wrote:

Has anyone discovered a story like this?

I would like to feature a Civil War Union veteran who traveled west to Washington Territory after the war, and made a claim under the Homestead Act AND used his veteran’s 40 acre bonus.  And I need to be able to represent him and his family in a photograph, the earlier the better.  Any suggestions?

Lorraine

http://civil-war-pathways.12348.n7.nabble.com/Curate-Civil-War-Pathways-with-Lorraine-veteran-s-land-claim-tp480.html
To start a new topic under Civil War Pathways, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Civil War Pathways, click here.
NAML

Re: Curate Civil War Pathways with Lorraine (veteran's land claim)

kyra
And I was just reading that CW vets could use their time in service to reduce the number of years it took to qualify their claim.  I suppose some might have used that benefit, in which case you wouldn't "see" that they had used a vet benefit just by looking at the size of claim they registered.  (This is noted on several vet biographies on the site that identifies the CW veteran gravesites in Snohomish county.)

http://civil-war-pathways.12348.n7.nabble.com/Re-Curate-Civil-War-Pathways-with-Lorraine-veteran-s-land-claim-tp484.html
To start a new topic under Civil War Pathways, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Civil War Pathways, click here.
NAML

RE: Curate Civil War Pathways with Lorraine (veteran's land claim)

lmcconaghy-2
Nice point, Kyra.

<http://books.google.com/books?id=uodtaYcEzOYC&pg=PA11&lpg=PA11&dq=anthony+carr+tacoma+claim&source=bl&ots=LuH5GN5cee&sig=h1_y5OfGWCNsHSwPdgIzjkuAj2I&hl=en&sa=X&ei=ejVLUoWMJ8j6qAHH24AI&ved=0CDwQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=anthony%20carr%20tacoma%20claim&f=false>

NAML<
http://civil-war-pathways.12348.n7.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml>

RE: Curate Civil War Pathways with Lorraine (veteran's land claim)

lmcconaghy-2
Okay!  Great - I'll print this out, and move Anthony Carr to the front burner.

NAML<
http://civil-war-pathways.12348.n7.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml>

Re: Curate Civil War Pathways with Lorraine (veteran's land claim)

kyra
This is one of Job Carr's two sons, who came west to join him. The original claim was Job's.

Sent from my iPhone