Re: Curate Civil War Pathways with Lorraine (veteran's land claim)

Re: Curate Civil War Pathways with Lorraine (veteran's land claim)

sandy
Have checked the book Illustrated History of the State of Washington. There are no pictures relating to anyone who deals with those items you asked about. If picture is not important will continue to seek other items you asked for. Have many that fill other things you asked about.

On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 10:11 AM, Sandra Chomiak <[hidden email]> wrote:
Have had many mention using Homestead Act, not sure of veteran's 40 acre bonus. Will need to look over life stories,

On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 10:03 AM, Jenny Sayward [via Civil War Pathways] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Has anyone discovered a story like this?

I would like to feature a Civil War Union veteran who traveled west to Washington Territory after the war, and made a claim under the Homestead Act AND used his veteran’s 40 acre bonus.  And I need to be able to represent him and his family in a photograph, the earlier the better.  Any suggestions?

Lorraine

http://civil-war-pathways.12348.n7.nabble.com/Curate-Civil-War-Pathways-with-Lorraine-veteran-s-land-claim-tp480.html
To start a new topic under Civil War Pathways, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Civil War Pathways, click here.
NAML

Re: Curate Civil War Pathways with Lorraine (veteran's land claim)

chezwurl
The pics I mentioned were to be found at the URL I included.  Not in the book which informed me of the filing a claim.  Sorry for confusion.

Sent from my iPhone

http://civil-war-pathways.12348.n7.nabble.com/Re-Curate-Civil-War-Pathways-with-Lorraine-veteran-s-land-claim-tp486.html
To start a new topic under Civil War Pathways, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Civil War Pathways, click here.
NAML

RE: Curate Civil War Pathways with Lorraine (veteran's land claim)

lmcconaghy-2
No apologies necessary.  Thanks for the help, you all. L

NAML<
http://civil-war-pathways.12348.n7.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml>

RE: Curate Civil War Pathways with Lorraine (veteran's land claim)

lmcconaghy-2
Thank you, Sandy.   The photo is essential, I'm afraid, because this little case study is headed for the exhibit. As my colleagues tell me and tell me, "You can't just put a book on the wall!"  So we've gotta be able to illustrate his and his family's story.

NAML<
http://civil-war-pathways.12348.n7.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml>

Re: Curate Civil War Pathways with Lorraine (veteran's land claim)

Kathy W
Here's a link to a veteran who migrated west and claimed land in Seattle, with family photos. The 40 acre bonus is not mentioned.
http://wedgwoodinseattlehistory.com/2012/07/02/homesteading-in-wedgwood-after-the-civil-war/

RE: Curate Civil War Pathways with Lorraine (veteran's land claim)

curator

There is a terrific photo of Private Edward C. Osborn in his house (homesteaded ca 1880s) at Bay View with his family in the living room. On the wall in the background his Civil War portrait is clearly visible.

I’ll see if I can track down a copy of it from the family. The house still exists and is occupied.

Best regards,

Clark McAbee

Curator

Orcas Island Historical Museum

PO BOX 134/ N Beach Rd

East Sound WA 98245

360-376-4849

[hidden email]

NAML

RE: Curate Civil War Pathways with Lorraine (veteran's land claim)

lmcconaghy-2
Fantastic!  I did email Skagit County Historical Society re Osborn - didn't realize the photos were in the family, rather than in public collection.  So, right now, I'm pursuing three potential veterans who filed Homestead Act claims.  Thank you, everyone!  L
There is a terrific photo of Private Edward C. Osborn in his house (homesteaded ca 1880s) at Bay View with his family in the living room. On the wall in the background his Civil War portrait is clearly visible.
I’ll see if I can track down a copy of it from the family. The house still exists and is occupied.

Best regards,

Clark McAbee
Curator
Orcas Island Historical Museum
PO BOX 134/ N Beach Rd
East Sound WA 98245
360-376-4849
[hidden email]</user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=502&i=0>

[...]

________________________________
click here.

NAML<
http://civil-war-pathways.12348.n7.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml>

RE: Curate Civil War Pathways with Lorraine (veteran's land claim)

lmcconaghy-2
Yes, I saw that too, digging around.  Valarie Bunn is the local historian in the Wedgwood neighborhood, and we've been corresponding.  The photos aren't a snap to get, I gather.  I should say that WSHS can't just grab a scan from the web and put it in the exhibition; we need to figure out who owns the original and pay the fee for a digital scan.
Since I'm here on the Forum, I should mention that I'm spending a LOT of time these days hunting for a Confederate uniform in Washington State that could be exhibited in the show.  So I'd imagine this would have traveled west with its wearer, as a keepsake.  Leads?  Let me know, L

Re: Curate Civil War Pathways with Lorraine (veteran's land claim)

Hilborn001
Dear Lorraine, much as it grieves me, I would like you to take me off the e-mail list.
We are traveling and have found that the various Internet connections we encounter are painfully slow -- so all I can do is delete what you send me, which is not very productive.
once I am settled again in Seattle -- next summer, I will contact you again.
Ulrike

http://civil-war-pathways.12348.n7.nabble.com/Re-Curate-Civil-War-Pathways-with-Lorraine-veteran-s-land-claim-tp486p501.html
To start a new topic under Civil War Pathways, email <A title=http://user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=506&amp;i=1 href="mip://08cdeea0/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=506&amp;i=1" rel=nofollow target=_top link="external">[hidden email]

NAML

RE: Curate Civil War Pathways with Lorraine (veteran's land claim)

lmcconaghy-2
Of course.  Jenny, can you remove Ulrike from our forum? Darby, when you see this, please place Ulrike "below the line" on our email contacts?  Tks, L

NAML<
http://civil-war-pathways.12348.n7.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml>

RE: Curate Civil War Pathways with Lorraine (veteran's land claim)

lmcconaghy-2
Ulrike, as soon as I can, I will as TPTB to remove you from the Forum.  In the meantime, just please delete posts that come your war.  I think the Forum is soon to fade away....  Sad to say. L