Quantcast

chapter title--condensed or full?

jbfarkas
I'm reading a book and writing entries for several chapters. The title of each chapter is very long, but wonderfully descriptive. Do I use the full chapter title or a condensed version? Is there a word limit? The catalog listing for the book gives a condensed title for each chapter.

Example of full title: Chapter XVII:  From Kootenia to Walla Walla in ’63 — A Widowed Sister — Packing — Walla Walla in 1863-64 — The Vigilantes — The Burnt River Road Agents — Stampeding Pack-trains — Holding Up the Stage — Innocent Men Four Years in Prison — The Guilty Party Squeals on His Pal “— The Attempted Arrest of Two Boys — A Moneyed Party Scared — Entertaining a Road Agent — We Got Into a Hurry When He Had Business in Auburn — More Vigilantes — Making a Father-in-Law of a Partner — At Washoe Springs — How the News of the Assassination of Lincoln Was Received — The Man Who Rejoiced, and What He Did Afterward

Example of condensed title: Chapter XVII:  From Kootenia to Walla Walla in ’63 . . .

--Jean

Re: chapter title--condensed or full?

Jenny Sayward
What I've been recommending, as one of the editors, is this format:  Chapter XVII: The Vigilantes.  Each relevant part of Chapter XVII can then be contributed as an individual item of interest.  This makes browsing and searching so much easier, too.

It looks like you've got a gold mine there!

Jenny

Re: chapter title--condensed or full?

jbfarkas
So, I would pick the item from the long chapter title that is most relevant. As you say, this would allow me to create more than one entry for the chapter, which I may want to do for some chapters.

In this case I would pick:
How the News of the Assassination of Lincoln Was Received

The only other minor issue is that there are no headings in the text (typical of that period). The reader will just have to scan the two pages to see where the relevant section of the text starts.

Thanks,
Jean

Re: chapter title--condensed or full?

Jenny Sayward
Yes, I think that helps the researcher more than scanning the whole chapter & throwing everything into one item in the database.  Keeping "Chapter XVII" anchors the item into its context.

So, the vigilantes had no political slant?  Some items we've seen, especially from Idaho, are really about Wild West shoot-outs, with a "lousy Secesh" slur thrown in.  Even the name-calling is interesting.  Use your own judgment.

Jenny

RE: chapter title--condensed or full?

lmcconaghy-2
I totally agree with Jenny's recommendations.  Wow!  Sounds like a much more entertaining source than many of us have.  I just want to pick it up and read it - the man who rejoiced at Lincoln's assassination definitely has my attention.  And the earlier Vigilantes section.  Super!
[...]

NAML<
http://civil-war-pathways.12348.n7.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml>